Maya Angelou is a poet of America and in her view barack Obama has delivered. Her birthday 4 april always bring some joy and some painful memories. She said that He’ll be re-elected. He deserves to be re-elected. But between now and November, it’s going to get nasty.

“I think we are going to see a number of people who say: ‘I have no racial prejudice in my heart, not in my conversation,’” Angelou says. “But in the next few months, as we wind up to the double campaign, I tell you we are going to see some nastiness, some vulgarity, I think. They’ll pull the sheets off.”

About the michelle Obama she said She’s the grand dame,I wrote her a note a few months ago because I was in a gathering. The president and his party were there, but I had to leave early. I know that’s a gaffe because no one leaves the building before the president so I wrote and apologised. I got a letter from her in her own handwriting. She said: ‘I have only one regret – that I didn’t come over and hug your neck.’”
Some said Obama’s America would be post racial. “That was silly,” she says. “That was the same thing that happened in the 60s, alas, and it set us up for some really terrible years. In the 50s and 60s, when integration was legally voted in, a number of black people stopped telling their children what they had been told, and all black children had been told in the US: that it all depends on you; you must get to school and you must go for As. After 1960 and for 10, maybe 20 years, the young people were let go. ‘Go and have your own ideas and be eccentric. You don’t have to go to school. Learn to dribble a ball.’ It was pitiful. Grades that were fine in black schools sank to an embarrassing level.” The malaise has since been addressed, she says. “People have awakened to the mistakes.”